The Arab Castle of the Umayyads
With its peculiar Arab outline that is conditioned also by the geographic structure on which it sits, it has reduced dimensions and an oval shape and adapts to the rocky crest of the summit. It was built entirely of stone. Inside we can see the loopholes, the built-in supports of the old beams, and the lancet arch of the main entrance, all of which resembles a type of a very well preserved citadel. It comes from the Umayyad time period. Although it was first constructed by Arabs, it appears that the final polygonal shape, which can now be appreciated, is due to the count Álvaro Núñez de Lara.
Church of Saint Bartholomew
Located in the heart of the town, it dates back to the 13th century. According to Portuonto, it appears that it was erected over the remains of a Roman temple. The most prevalent style is baroque.
Its space is a single nave, in the form of a Latin Cross. Its main façade is of the Renaissance era, with two bodies, and flanked with pilasters and a semi-circular arch. Inside one can appreciate two beautiful altarpieces and a 15th century sanctuary; the images of Saint Bartholomew, Saint Anthony the Abbot, Saint Peter and Saint Paul; as well as two portraits inspired by Saint Thomas of Villanova and Saint Augustine, all of which is of considerable historical and artistic value.
Within the church there is a room used to conserve the cultural assets, as a type of museum-archives for the parish.
Robed Officials and Roman Inscriptions
In what is today the Plaza de España, we can see a statue of a Roman offical wearing a toga, standing on top of white marble alter. There also is an incomplete statue of a woman as well as three alters with inscriptions in Latin, located around the Church of Saint Bartholomew, built on top of the remains of a Roman temple.
The Visigoth Necropolis
Phillip II’s Topographical Descriptions of the Towns of Spain refers to the discovery of human remains and necklace beads on the Alhambra hillside. This seems to indicate the first mention of this necropolis. In 1914, a funerary stele was discovered, beside the Las Eras necropolis, currently in the vaults of the National Archeological Museum.
In 1956 over 30 tombs of different characteristics were found at the bottom of the hill. They were organized in ten rows with an ordinary contour. This cave necropolis’ overall extension (some 3,000 square-metres) highlights the high population density. Through the vicinity runs the Cañada (“ravine”) of Andalusia. Furthermore, in Antiquity, this land was crossed by a number of Roman roads.
The Lookouts of Alhambra
Alhambra has a number of lookout points from which one can take in impressive views of the Campo de Montiel. From the “Gorgotija” lookout we can make out the Visigoth necropolis; from the Calvary Park lookout, we can see the Alhambra mountains and remains of the Roman road that linked the cities of Toletum and Laminium.
The Huelma Caves
This trail starts at a country estate called “Huelma” and runs through a man-made canal that provided the mill with water for energy production. Next, we enter a mountain pass with exuberant vegetation and large limestone walls that open up to form some peculiar caves.
Hiking through La Lagunilla
This is a trail, practically untouched, that can be done on foot or by bike along an enormous waterbed that is protected by two chains of hills on the right and left of the river. On our hike we can observe the contrast of colours: the dark-reds of the cork oaks and the gall-oaks; the greens of the holm oaks, the rosemary, the flax-leaved daphnes, and the savin juniper trees; the reds of the rosehips, berries and wild rosebushes. We will encounter streams and damp areas that form shallow ponds. The archeological bronze deposits located at the beginning of Lagunilla on the hill to our right, are also worth mentioning.